Sonntag, 6. Januar 2013

Creuset Bread

For Christmas I got this beautiful cast iron pot called a Creuset! I believe that next to a Kitchen Aid, this is really a must-have for everyone who likes to cook and loves hot things out of the oven. A couple of years back (2006 to be exact) the New York Times came out with an ariticle about a type of bread that is cooked in this creuset pot. They said it was so easy, even a six-year old child could do it. My Mom and sister have been baking this bread for years, so I decided to give it a go. Bearing in mind that I am a lousy baker (I always say cooking is an art and baking is a science...I failed bio chemistry and physics), I was very skeptical. Thus I was every so pleased when it turned out perfectly!

Here is how it goes!

You will need:
3 Cups (500gr) Flour
1/4 Tsp Dry Yeast
1 Tbsp Salt
1 1/2 Cups lukewarm water

Mix together the flour, yeast and salt. Then stir in the water until it is just combined. It should be very sticky. Cover it up and let it sit over night. This sucker really takes its time to rise, but it is worth it.
The next morning, dump the dough onto a floured surface and form it into a big glob of dough. Put it back into the bowl and just let the gluten relax a bit. Meanwhile put your cast iron pot into a 300 Degree Oven and let it get super hot. Put some oil or flower into the pot so that the dough won't stick. Plop the dough into the pot, cover it up and put it back into the oven. Bake for 30 minutes. Take off the lid and continue baking the bread for another 10-15 minutes. This will allow the crust to brown. Take the pot out of the oven and let the bread cool for a bit.

Eat and pretend you own a bakery!

You can also vary the recipe by adding yummie things such as herbs, olives etc. I read one version that used lemon peer and cheese. That shall be done next!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen