Dienstag, 19. Oktober 2010

Merguez Sausage with Pumpkin and Ricotta Ravioli


Friends of the Sun, words cannot describe how sorry I am for not posting something in six months. Things have been slightly crazy in my frenzy of finding a job and thus I am currently sitting in a little attic room in Ulm (Bavaria) with a glass of red wine and am writing again. Because I am now living on my own for a while, I am of course on a tighter budget, however here in Germania we have many discount grocery stores that sell brand names for half the price. Don't ask me how they do it, but I think it's genius. Last week, while I was traipsing through the isles, I found this strange looking sausage for 2 Euros for 500 grams. It was called Merguez. It is oddly reddish in color and is made from beef and lamb. The word lamb was what caught my attention. Along with it, I found some pre-packaged Pumpkin and Ricotta ravioli that looked so wonderfully delicious I could not resist. I went home with my newly bought posessions and got to work

You will need
2 cloves of garlic
Olive Oil
1 onion
2 plumb tomatoes
Arugula Lettuce
1 pgk of Ravioli (as said before, I used Pumpkin Ravioli but I think any vegetarian kind will do. Try Spinach)
2 Merguez Sausages
2 buillion cubes

In a pot bring water and bullion cubes to a boil. While the water is working itself to a boil, chop the onion, garlic and tomatoes into fine squares. Next heat some olive oil in a pan and brown the onion. Add the sausage and sauté until it is tender (about 5 minutes) then add the tomatoes. When the water is boiling, dump the Ravioli in it and let them cook for about 2-3 minutes. But these in a bowl and to the pan of tomatoes and sausage, add a handful of arugula lettuce. Season with Salt, Pepper and some italian herbs such as Oregano or Rosemary. Pour the Sausage etc onto the Ravioli, toss and serve while piping hot. If you want to, add some parmesan cheese on top, however this can be overpowering with the flavors of sausage and pumpkin.

P.S. I know the image is slightly odd, but if you are at a loss of a camera you just have to be creative.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen